Follow me
info@mikecohen.ca

Great news for democracy: vote by mail approved for those 70 and over in municipal elections

Score a victory for democracy– well partial democracy.

Côte Saint-Luc assumed a leadership role in calling for the Quebec government to allow voting by mail in our November municipal elections for everyone who wishes, given the uncertainty of where we will be with the COVID-19 pandemic next fall. Thanks to the opposition Quebec Liberals, a compromise was reached. It is far from perfect, but it will help many of our electorate.

Here is a story in The Montreal Gazette that summarizes the decision.

Should the COVID-19 pandemic drag on even longer, Quebec wants cities and towns to be ready to hold their Nov. 7 elections anyway. This week the National Assembly passed a bill making the campaign rules more flexible.

 

 

QUEBEC — With the COVID-19 pandemic lingering, the Legault government has given cities more flexibility in the organization of the November municipal elections, including the authority to allow citizens over the age of 70 to vote by mail.

MNAs this week adopted Bill 85 which, among things, gives municipalities the option of offering the mail-in ballot option to older citizens. Municipalities have to pass a council resolution opting for mail-in balloting by July 1 to make it happen.

The expanded mail-in option was added at the last minute in the form of an amendment, which passed Wednesday in a vote. The score was 118 MNAs for, zero against.

The bill’s passage was overshadowed this week by the presentation of the Quebec budget.

“It is difficult to know what the public health situation will be for the next general municipal election,” Municipal Affairs Minister Andrée Laforest said in a statement to the Montreal Gazette.

 

“As minister, I had to put in place the conditions to ensure this major event happens. Regardless of what happens, thanks to our Bill 85, Quebecers will be able to participate in the municipal democratic process in safety and knowing the integrity of the vote is assured.”

The amendment to the bill was proposed by the Liberal MNA for Vaudreuil, Marie-Claude Nichols, the critic for municipal affairs. The government accepted the amendment.

It expands the scope of the mail-in ballot option. The initial bill, tabled in February, had the option but only for seniors living in CHSLDs or private nursing homes and people with reduced mobility who can’t travel.

In the debate over the bill, Nichols said her own 76-year-old mother would be afraid to go to a polling station if the pandemic was still happening. Nichols wanted the amendment to including to anyone over 65.

Elections Quebec indicated it would not have time to organize such a system for this election. The compromise was age 70. Elections Quebec had the same view on the issue of electronic or internet voting, which the minister Laforest also favours. There would not be enough time to put the system in place.

Elections Quebec polling shows about 50 per cent of Quebecers support the idea of electronic voting. In the 18-to-34 year-old category, the number is 76 per cent. The tool is seen as a way to boost low participation rates.

Bill 85, however, includes other clauses to ease voting in a pandemic.

To take into consideration voting by mail, the election period is expanded from 44 days in total to 51. Additional voting days will be added to avoid crowding at polling stations.

To avoid contact, fewer election workers will be on site and it will require fewer signatures to become a candidate to avoid door-to-door contact.

Finally, voters will be allowed to use their own pencils to vote.

“The last year has taught us the importance of being able to rapidly adapt to any scenario, even those which seemed impossible,” Quebec’s chief electoral officer, Pierre Reid, said in a statement.

Voters in 1,100 municipalities including Montreal go to the polls Nov. 7 to fill 8,000 elected posts.

pauthier@postmedia.com

Related

David Tordjman has won the Côte Saint-Luc election for mayor

Across Quebec, including of course Côte Saint-Luc, municipal elections...

I have been acclaimed to a sixth term in office

I express appreciation for my acclamation to Côte Saint-Luc...

Experience you can count on! / Une expérience sur laquelle vous pouvez compter!

RE-ELECT COUNCILLOR MIKE COHENIN DISTRICT 2 ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER ...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval,...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major...
Mike Cohen
Mike Cohenhttps://mikecohen.ca
Mike Cohen, born and raised in Côte Saint-Luc, has long been active in the community as a volunteer, journalist, and consultant. He attended local schools and was first elected as City Councillor for District 2 in 2005. Since then, he has been re-elected in each municipal election, most recently in 2025. Mike Cohen, né et élevé à Côte Saint-Luc, est depuis longtemps actif au sein de la communauté en tant que bénévole, journaliste et consultant. Il a fréquenté les écoles locales et a été élu pour la première fois conseiller municipal du district 2 en 2005. Depuis lors, il a été réélu à chaque élection municipale, la dernière fois en 2025.

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to reduce household waste, The City of Côte Saint-Luc is expanding organic waste collection to its townhouse...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval, let me share two wonderful recent experiences at Houston Steak & Fruits de Mer and...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major Hydro-Québec work that will take place in Côte Saint-Luc over the next few years. Then...