Follow me
info@mikecohen.ca

Actions by rogue cement truck sub-contractors on Marc Chagall was unacceptable

It has been over two years now since construction began on the first phase of the Equinoxe luxury apartment complex. While the ownership have been on board from day one to be good corporate partners, the same cannot be said for their sub-contractors. A significant amount of my time and ergo our senior management has been spent babysitting this project over frequent violations of our bylaws. 

Phase 1 concluded last October and  the first tower is full of new tenants. I have said this before  and it merits repeating. It was the administration of Mayor Bernard Lang which granted the zoning for this project over 30 years ago at a time when he and his council had to know how crowded this street could some day become. We got lucky and the land remained vacant for decades. All good things come to an end and developers finally did buy the property. One large building was bad enough, but this land was zoned for two. Our council did lower the maximum height.

As work on Phase 1 continued, we managed to resolve issues on an almost daily basis with the developers. But it involved so much work for our staff. I established an ad hoc committee of condo building reps and we convened when necessary with the developers.

Trucks

Cement trucks block the driveway of The Rothchild II.

Work on Phase 2 began a few months ago and all seemed to be going well until  Tuesday evening, June 11. I was in a Council meeting when I began getting emails from constituents that the work of pouring cement was going well beyond the 7 pm shutdown period. We have always allowed them to go a bit over, but on this occasion they refused to stop. Public Safety officer and police were on the scene, but these rogue operators simply took the tickets and kept working. Whose fault really was it? Clearly someone up top greatly underestimated the time required to pour cement. The last truck left at 1 am. This was absolutely unacceptable  and as a result our senior management team convened Wednesday morning.The police were involved in the dialogue as well.  This will not be tolerated! Extreme measures will be taken if this crew tries to do anything like this again. They have stretched  our patience and damaged a lot of the goodwill the developers have tried to establish. Young children were woken up. People had trouble getting to sleep.

I want to thank our staff for their immediate response to this issue. I spoke to dozens of residents by phone and email today to let them know how their complaints were warranted. Work on the site ended earlier than usual Wednesday. Since I did not hear back from the developers Wednesday, I can only hope they got the message!

 

 

 

 

 

Related

The Equinoxe rental condos have been sold

The Equinoxe apartments on Marc Chagall Avenue in...

Gardens of Distinction program replaces Maisons Fleuries/Le programme Jardins d’exception

The Maisons Fleuries program has been a mainstay in...

Public Safety Station will not be placed at the corner of The Avenue and Park Place

The long awaited first Public Consultation meeting for the...

Why I voted against the Master Plan/ Pourquoi j’ai voté contre le plan d’urbanisme

For the first time in 20 years, the City...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval,...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major...
Mike Cohen
Mike Cohenhttps://mikecohen.ca
Mike Cohen, born and raised in Côte Saint-Luc, has long been active in the community as a volunteer, journalist, and consultant. He attended local schools and was first elected as City Councillor for District 2 in 2005. Since then, he has been re-elected in each municipal election, most recently in 2025. Mike Cohen, né et élevé à Côte Saint-Luc, est depuis longtemps actif au sein de la communauté en tant que bénévole, journaliste et consultant. Il a fréquenté les écoles locales et a été élu pour la première fois conseiller municipal du district 2 en 2005. Depuis lors, il a été réélu à chaque élection municipale, la dernière fois en 2025.

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to reduce household waste, The City of Côte Saint-Luc is expanding organic waste collection to its townhouse...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval, let me share two wonderful recent experiences at Houston Steak & Fruits de Mer and...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major Hydro-Québec work that will take place in Côte Saint-Luc over the next few years. Then...

2 COMMENTS

  1. I think that once they start pouring cement it must be finished. They probably started later and I’m sure did not anticipate how long this would take.I did hear them past 11 pm. Sometimes one must be a little tolerant. I’m sure the new bldg will beautify the street and city, bring in more revenue thus lower taxes and provide homes for more people. I am more concerned about traffic and cars racing around curve of Marc Chagall. I certainly hope the green spaces will be kept in front of snow dump.Nobody seems to complain the trucks dumping snow all nigh! Thanks Mike👍

Comments are closed.