Follow me
info@mikecohen.ca

New Update:Quebec gives the green light for by-elections to take place but they start from scratch

There is an important update to the information below. Not only will the date of October 4 for by-elections likely be changed, but it appears that anyone who were registered as candidates already must start over from scratch. Moreover,  anyone can submit their candidacy.

In Côte Saint-Luc, that means our by-election for District 8,  Adam Dahan and Leslie Perez are must resubmit their papers and possibly expect more opponents. The seat became vacant following the passing of Ruth Kovac last year. Councillor David Tordjman and I have been filling in for that district on an interim basis.

I must ask, is this really fair? These two candidates spent money on brochures,  websites and posters. They started door to door. Now they are being told start again and by the way, others can oppose you?

Further information should be announced soon, but the CAQ government has this all wrong. I really feel for the candidates in St. Léonard, who already had their advance poll.

The Minister of the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation, Ms. Andrée Laforest, announced last week the resumption of municipal by-elections. At the time she gave the date as of October 4 and said the 45-day election period could therefore begin on August 21, 2020.

The Minister of the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation, Ms. Andrée Laforest, announced last week the resumption of municipal by-elections. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all municipal by-elections in progress or scheduled were suspended, in accordance with the directives issued by public health authorities. On March 13, more than 40 municipalities in Québec had to interrupt their election proceedings because of the public health emergency. Many other positions have become vacant since that date.

Any municipality with one or more vacancies must notify its regional branch of the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation.

Lesliep

Leslie Perez

Sanitary measures to be observed

The Québec government's health and distancing directives must be respected during any by-election.   That will mean no door to door campaigning. Dahan and Perez had already started their campaigns, complete with posters on different poles.

 Reprise des élections partielles

La ministre des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation, Mme Andrée Laforest, a annoncé la reprise des élections partielles municipales dès le 4 octobre prochain. La période électorale, d'une durée de 45 jours, pourrait donc commencer à partir du 21 août 2020.

 

Adamdahan2

Adam Dahan

Rappelons que, dans le contexte de la pandémie de COVID-19, toutes les élections partielles municipales en cours ou à venir avaient été suspendues, conformément aux directives émises par la santé publique. Le 13 mars dernier, plus d'une quarantaine de municipalités du Québec ont dû interrompre leurs procédures électorales en raison de l'état d'urgence sanitaire. De nombreux autres postes sont devenus vacants depuis cette date.

Toute municipalité comptant un ou plusieurs postes vacants doit en aviser sa direction régionale du ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation.

Mesures sanitaires à respecter

Les consignes sanitaires et de distanciation du gouvernement du Québec devront être respectées lors de toute élection partielle.

Les rôles et les responsabilités relatives aux élections municipales

L'application générale de la Loi sur les élections et les référendums dans les municipalités, qui encadre les élections municipales, relève de la ministre des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation. C’est pourquoi la décision de suspendre ou de tenir ces élections relève de la ministre et de son équipe.

L'organisation et la tenue des élections municipales sont sous la responsabilité de la présidente ou du président d'élection de chaque municipalité. Le rôle d'Élections Québec est de former et de soutenir les présidentes et les présidents d'élection dans l'exécution de ce mandat.

Élections Québec assure aussi le contrôle du financement politique et des dépenses électorales.

 

 

 

Related

David Tordjman has won the Côte Saint-Luc election for mayor

Across Quebec, including of course Côte Saint-Luc, municipal elections...

I have been acclaimed to a sixth term in office

I express appreciation for my acclamation to Côte Saint-Luc...

Experience you can count on! / Une expérience sur laquelle vous pouvez compter!

RE-ELECT COUNCILLOR MIKE COHENIN DISTRICT 2 ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER ...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval,...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major...
Mike Cohen
Mike Cohenhttps://mikecohen.ca
Mike Cohen, born and raised in Côte Saint-Luc, has long been active in the community as a volunteer, journalist, and consultant. He attended local schools and was first elected as City Councillor for District 2 in 2005. Since then, he has been re-elected in each municipal election, most recently in 2025. Mike Cohen, né et élevé à Côte Saint-Luc, est depuis longtemps actif au sein de la communauté en tant que bénévole, journaliste et consultant. Il a fréquenté les écoles locales et a été élu pour la première fois conseiller municipal du district 2 en 2005. Depuis lors, il a été réélu à chaque élection municipale, la dernière fois en 2025.

Composting initiative begins/Lancement d’une initiative de compostage/

In response to citizen demand and the necessity to reduce household waste, The City of Côte Saint-Luc is expanding organic waste collection to its townhouse...

Two Great Steakhouses in Laval, a Dream Brunch, and  tastes from Toronto

If you’re looking for an excellent steak in Laval, let me share two wonderful recent experiences at Houston Steak & Fruits de Mer and...

Aging substation  makes us vulnerable for more power outages

Last week I wrote a blog, previewing the major Hydro-Québec work that will take place in Côte Saint-Luc over the next few years. Then...